All MCPS schools are remaining closed until the end of this school year. There will still be key issues which need to be considered whenever MCPS schools decide to reopen, which is currently scheduled for fall of 2020.
The MCPS school board voted today on whether or not MCPS District One schools will reopen this year, or to have in person classes start in fall of 2020; they decided that schools will remain closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. Remote learning will continue through the end date of this school year.
Key issues that were considered in the making of this decision as listed by the board include:
- The risk of transmitting covid-19 within school buildings
- The short term lack of available personal protective equipment (PPE) for students and staff
- The short term lack of supplies that we can use to conduct health screenings for all students in an efficient manner
- The short term lack of nurses/medical staff in each building to conduct screening
- The current requirements regarding group size and the possibility of a partial day schedule with only a few weeks remaining in the school year
- The numbers of students and staff who would be unable to return to school
- The need to plan for safety and staff training for the summer and fall
All of these things and more were considered by the school board when making their decision to continue distance learning for the rest of the school year.